Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Thoughts and prayers with Jake Gibbs family

Over the past 30 years, I'm guessing I have called Ole Miss great Jake Gibbs at home probably far more than 100 times for various stories, columns or books.

Invariably, Patricia Gibbs, Jake's wife, would answer in her soft, pleasant voice, and we'd usually talk for 10 or 15 minutes before she either got around to calling Jake to the phone or telling me Jake was on the golf course or somewhere else.

Always, she was pleasant and kind. Our conversations often lasted longer than my interviews with Jake, who remains one of my all-time favorite people in Mississippi sports.

Patricia died Monday at her home.

Services will be Thursday, September 27, 2012 at 10:00 A.M. at First Baptist Church with Dr. Robert Allen and Dr. Eric Hankins officiating. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation is today 4:30 P.M. until 7:00 P.M at Waller Funeral Home.

Born in Boliver, TN, Mrs. Gibbs was a member of First Baptist Church of Oxford. She enjoyed reading, playing bridge, cooking and spending time with her grandchildren.

Survivors include her husband; three sons, Dean Gibbs and his wife, Paula of Oxford, Monte Gibbs and his wife, Joyce of Oxford, and Frank Gibbs and his wife, Mary Heather of Hernando, MS; one brother Bill Callaway of Greenville, MS and seven grandchildren.

Memorial contributions in Mrs. Gibbs’ memory may be made to First Baptist Church, 800 Van Buren Avenue, Oxford, MS 38655.

The thoughts and prayers of the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame Museum staff are with the Gibbs family.

Jake Gibbs 

3 comments:

  1. My newest bookmark - and most favorite. My mornings have not been the same since you left the CL. I have already read through the archives. (at least through September)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, please tell your friends... this website is growing and going to get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, our prayers are with the Gibbs family.

    Like the previous poster, I too have bookmarked this page. As I walk down the driveway to pick up the
    C-L on Sunday morning, I do so with a little less enthusiasm, knowing I won't read your take on Saturday's games. That is, until I found this site! Need to publicize it more. And I appreciate your occasional visits to Sixpackspeak. I don't know who they are, but those guys are funny, first to know, and usually accurate. Of course, you have to wade thru a few idiots, but that's life in the interwebs I guess.

    Now if only you could get Bobby to write a few Outdoor articles here! Would love to hear his take on that giant gator/dinosaur taken at Fitler last week.

    ReplyDelete